Rudder


Here are a few preliminary photos of the rudder construction.  There have been a number of discussions regarding problems with rudder fit.  Several have reported "Fat" rudders when the rudder was too thick to properly fit the rear spar of the vertical stabilizer.  I lucked out on that aspect and did not experience that problem.  

I did not entirely escape all problems with the rudder though.  Two different problems have cropped up during my rudder installation.  The first problem resulted from the way the tail of the fuselage was positioned in the jig for working on the fuselage.  It put some pressure on the structure which resulted in the lower part of the rear being a bit wider than it should be.  This resulted in a larger gap at the lowest part of the rudder.  I also had a problem with my vertical positioning of the rudder.  I thought I had it positioned correctly and had all the holes drilled but after close out found it was about 1/4 inch too high.  I haven't worked out all the fixes yet but shouldn't have any real problem with this.  I will wait until I have the fuselage on the gear before proceeding further.

Inside view of rudder just before
closeout.  Inspection panel and
trim servo mouting can be seen.
Trim tab is outlined and will be
cutout once full rudder is closed.
The cutout from the trailing edge
is the opening for tail light.

Exterior view of rudder prior to
final close out.  Outlines can be
seen for inspection panel and
trim servo as well as trim tab.
I found that the tail light fit just
perfectly into a PVC pipe joint
expansion end.  This view shows
the pvc pipe being bonded into
place.



I made a combination nut plate
and mounting bracket from a
six ply layup.  This view shows
the nut plate bonded into place
using 5 minute epoxy and flox.
This forms a very good bond.
This looks rather crude but I used
layers of the 1/4 inch foam included
in the kit.  The layers of foam are
bonded with a thin micro/epoxy mix.
The idea here is to just fill in the
rough shape.  Remember, this is
nothing more than a framework for
the glass and has no structural use.

A little filing and sanding and you
have the exact shape ready for
covering with a couple of plys of
glass.  The whole thing only took
a couple of hours to work out.
As you can see, it works out and
looks a lot better once the glass is
on and you smooth out the edges.

Here you can see the tail light in
the proper position.  You can
also see the preliminary work
on the trim tab and servo.

This shows the other side of the
rudder and tail light assembly.  I
recessed the tail light so that only
the lense shows beyond the rear
edge of the rudder.

This shows the acces cover and
servo control guide being roughed
out.  The trim tab is positioned
and being trimed out.